Thursday, April 3, 2014

The beard shows its mettle

David is tolerating the chemo very well. His white blood count is down, as hoped. His beard is getting downright bushy. On Tuesday he wrote:
We have won. Prior to today I was growing the beard betting that nobody was going to call me out on it, and I was correct. But as of today, I am officially forbidden from shaving. ha. Also I'm more than halfway through the first round of chemo and the beard is showing its true mettle

A personal milestone: At 11:55 a.m. the lunch lady comes to the door and says:
Miz Johnston, is your son gonna call down his lunch order?
Yes, he’s planning to do that.
She walks away a few paces, then comes back to the door.
Miz Johnston, when you called down last night, did you want a salad or a fruit cup? I looked at your slip and it said a garden salad and fruit, so they put an orange on the tray and said, ‘Hope she likes that.’
I ordered a fruit cup, but it’s fine. The orange was delicious.
They didn’t know if you wanted a garden salad and fruit or what.
I didn’t ask for a garden salad; I ordered the fruit cup. But the orange was delicious.
I hope it was all right.
I don’t actually care for garden salad; I always get the fruit cup.
Okay.


Individual attention and personalized service! What a country!

1 comment: