Tuesday, April 8, 2014

David’s appendicitis

            Spoiler:


            David had appendicitis last night, 7 April, and underwent a laparoscopic appendectomy, which he tolerated well. A few hours later he was back on the oncology ward with an IV for two extra antibiotics, flagyl and cefepime. He was already receiving Bactrim to prevent infection.

            At 9:07 a.m, I spoke with the surgery nurse at WrenMiMiC (Walter Reed, remember?):
            “You’re from Massachusetts, right?”
            “Yes, I am.”
            “His nurse is from there, too. You all have the same area code.”

            When I arrived at his oncology ward room, David was awake and looking good. He now has three tiny scars, each about an inch in length. The camera went through to center one near his navel and the two arms used for removing the inflamed appendix entered a bit lower, one on each side of the abdomen. I arrived just as the rounds doctors were leaving his room, so I got to meet the oncologist who will be following him for the next two week rotation:
            “Any news?”
            “He doesn’t have an appendix anymore.”

            Matt noted that David had had a “lappy appy”. And since he was tired afterwards, he took a lappy appy nappy.

            My sister-in-law cancelled my Amtrak tickets. I had had a good night's sleep and feel calm and rested.

            At 7:30 p.m. Ensign Frank, who isn’t assigned to David this week, stopped by. David was napping, but she whispered from the door, “How’s he doing?” She was dressed in civilian clothes, with a big black backpack. She’s a sweetheart.


            Our extended family will have a time of personal prayer and fasting starting after dinner on Saturday evening, April 12. Fasting in our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I’m a Mormon) involves not eating or drinking for 24 hours (that is, skipping 2 meals, but only if you are healthy and able to tolerate it) and praying privately. There’s no expectation on my part that you participate, but I wanted to inform everyone that checks this blog, in case they want to join in.

2 comments:

  1. We are thinking of you and praying for you.

    Raymonds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to thank you for writing this blog and keeping it updated. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I will ask that some of my friends also pray for David, as I have many faithful friends here in my building. I just spoke with Melissa Andam and told her this news. I expect you will hear from her too. Much love, Linda

    ReplyDelete