Thursday, April 3, 2014

David's been in country for a week

Another blessedly quiet day. Since I don’t have internet access at the hospital (Jim’s and David’s laptops detect the hospital “patient” connection, but mine doesn’t), I spent about two hours processing emails at my brother’s house before heading for Wrenmimic a.k.a. Walter Reed.

In the morning David did a few “laps” around the ward, while reading The Music of the Primes and with his IV in tow, and napped in the afternoon. We had lunch and dinner together; the hospital food is quite edible and there are good, healthful choices.

I’ve been able to sleep soundly at night. Having bipolar disorder, good sleep is literally essential to my sanity. I’ve had psychotic manic episodes three times in my life, at ages 26, 39, and 47. I can’t afford to have another. But the medications work well for me (although I don’t like the side effects) and I have an excellent network of supports. Over the past two weeks I occasionally feel sad and cry, but mostly I’m calm and serene. I have confidence that Heavenly Father is in control of the universe and that all that happens in our lives, however painful, will be for our good.


I’m curious to know what sub-type of acute myeloid leukemia David has; the genetic and molecular results should arrive in the next week. David certainly has his young age, Army-level fitness, and good attitude in his favor. I’m touched by the support network we have. Family, church members, the hospital staff, DBSA-Boston friends (Depression Bipolar Support Alliance): all have made us feel loved and supported. I can feel the effect of the many prayers offered on our behalf.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to write these updates. Your sisters in the A.W. miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete