Wednesday, December 8, 2021

What will you be when you grow up?

Recently I attended a Relief Society class at church on the story of our lives. The teacher told how her dream as a young woman was to sing on Broadway and drive a pink Cadillac. Now she sings to her two toddlers in a tiny apartment and drives a Toyota.

 

She asked what we had thought we’d be when we grew up. For me, I wanted to be a nun. I explained that they were the rock stars of my childhood in parochial school, at least to me. And they were good role models: smart (they were schoolteachers and knew a lot more than me) and articulate.

I’m still adjusting to being 65. It’s just a number, I say to myself, rather unconvincingly. You’re as young as you feel has no comfort in it: I’m not feeling very young tonight. But I did do my Nerd Fitness workout today. It's okay to feel a little weary at 10 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment