Tuesday, November 30, 2021

The longest autumn

This autumn has been the best birthday present of my life. Walking home from the library in late September, I said to Jim, I think this is my favorite part of fall, the bright reds and oranges in the tree crowns above the dark green. He replied, you say that every year, as if you are just discovering it.


What I actually discovered lately, was that raspberry canes shouldn’t be cut down until early winter. Research conducted at Cornell University found that the dying canes continue to send carbohydrates to the crown and roots well into winter. I found it fascinating to learn that the canes were still nourishing the roots so late in the year. The raspberry leaves don’t lose their green color because they are still working.


My favorite part of autumn lingered for weeks this year. The ‘peak’ foliage, when most of the leaves have changed from green to red, yellow, and orange, happened near the end of October, two or three weeks later than usual.


The week before Thanksgiving there were still tenacious leaves scattered among the bare limbs: amber, wheat, butterscotch, bronze, cinnamon, and ginger. They remind me of making my famous Conference ginger snaps: ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves scattered on top of the flour.


Even today, the last of November, the tawny remnants of leaves are seen amidst the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment