Friday, May 21, 2021

Dumb Thing with a Dumbbell

 Wednesday morning I did a dumb thing. I had just finished a bicep exercise with my 10-lb dumbbells and turned to look at my Nerd Fitness app to record my reps. I put the dumbbells on my straight-back chair and, you guessed it, one dumbbell came crashing down on my toe. It hurt! I squeezed the toe and after a few moments moved it gingerly, hoping no shooting pain would telegraph a report of broken bones. I was assured the damage was not great, but my workout was done for the day.

Replaying the event, I realized that my second thought (after the “This hurts a lot!”) was that I had put the dumbbell down carelessly (true) and that it had rolled off the chair. But that’s not possible: the dumbells have a hexagonal shape and can’t roll an inch. I had nearly missed the chair entirely in my thoughtless movement.

Rest assured the damage was minor. I cancelled my three-mile walk and didn’t even go out for a 5-minute one. I carefully arranged my feet as I got into bed.

The miracle occurred the next morning. Sleepy from the alarm interrupting my slumber, I walked into the bathroom and only later realized I hadn’t thought or needed to favor the foot. My body had started its natural healing process. I sport a lovely dusky bruise and the second joint is slightly swollen and tender. Yesterday I did a 3-mile walk.


The body’s healing doesn’t always prevail; David’s death is the most readily available example of that. But my dumb dumbbell incident highlights its wonder.


3 comments:

  1. Didn't Aunt Maggie break her foot this way as a child?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no recollection of the incident, but the story is my broken leg involved a dumbbell and Timothy. I was 4? or 5? at the time.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Peggy (later Maggie) broke her foot when a lead disk dropped on her foot. We sibs reminisced about it at a recent weekly Zoom call.

      Delete