Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Eradicating Poison Ivy (and other weeds)

Today I faced the poison ivy in my yard. As soon as I realized, three weeks ago, that I had a poison ivy rash, I started wondering how to get rid of the plants. I got the rash while weeding garlic mustard from my north yard. Today I learned, from careful observation, that there were three ‘leaves of three’ species in our yard. The one I identified that fateful day was tiny wild blackberry brambles. Another plant I noticed today was small, with serrated leaves. I’m pretty sure it isn’t poison ivy, but I was taking no chances: I pulled every last one. And of course, there was actual poison ivy, which initiated the allergic reaction that sent me to urgent care after a week of toughing it out.

It took me nearly three hours to actually get out and work in the yard. Constructive procrastination, Jim's dad used to call it. I was apprehensive that I’d break out again. As I procrastinated, I improved my strategy. I prepared some poison-ivy herbicide. Even Amy, a suburban homesteader who promotes natural remedies for gardening challenges, recommends chemical herbicides for tough cases of poison ivy. She does recommend leaving the plants where they don't disturb human activity: they protect against erosion, make good boundaries for forests, and produce berries that some birds eat.

Last week, I bought two disposable Tyvek suits, complete with attached booties. The supplied black gloves were as thin and short as exam gloves, and I couldn’t keep my wrists protected, so I added a pair of long purple rubber gloves.

I’m very frugal (ask my kids) and thought of reusing the $10 Tyvek suit and $5 purple gloves.  However, the suit was nearly worn out after six and a half hours of bending, kneeling, pulling weeds and cutting brush. It was fun to peel myself out of the suit, roll it up inside out, and trash it.

After 6 1/2 hours: 4 bags full of weeds

I used my best Red Cross First Aid glove-removal technique.Sweat came streaming out of them. My finger pads were prunes. Cheap spa treatment.

I’m pretty confident that I didn't touch any poison ivy, but I’ll only be certain in three days, if I don’t develop any rash. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment