Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Another Death

The daughter of a friend died last week. I offered to visit and talk to her, experienced bereaved mother to newly one.We had a long, intimate conversation.

This morning came the reaction. Not the gut-wrenching, bend-over-in pain, can’t-catch-my-breath reaction, but a renewed awareness of our loss. I feel guilty: I find I go days not thinking about David. On the wall of my office, a little above my sightline, is a line drawing of him. An artist drew it from our favorite photo, taken on our daughter’s wedding day. He had pronounced himself “extremely presentable”. He never spent much time worrying about fashion. When he was on his mission, he described a haircut a member of the church gave him. It was in the backyard and the amateur barber finished the job with a leaf blower. Writing this, I look up at the grey drawing in its pewter-tone frame. I haven’t looked at it for months. Nearly three years on, it takes longer for the grief to settle in; it’s easier to ignore it and keep it at bay.

My heart goes out to my friend. That’s so cliché, but words are inadequate. Another cliché. The thing about clichés is: they can be true. My daughter objects to people on Facebook responding in reaction to a death: my thoughts and prayers are with you. “What does that even mean? How much time are they spending actually thinking and praying?”

She has a point, but being on the other side, watching a friend be thrown into grief, I don’t know what to say either. The cliché at least gives me something, allows an exchange of words and feelings.

I know I’ve quoted this post before: Annie Lamott speaks to my heart. It’s who I want to be.

Gravity yanks us down…We need a lot of help getting back up. And even with our battered banged up tool boxes and aching backs, we can help others get up, even when for them to do so seems impossible or at least beyond imagining. Or if it can't be done, we can sit with them on the ground, in the abyss, in solidarity.

My friend doesn’t live close, so it’s not practical to visit every day. But maybe I can text. I’m not an avid texter: with my hand tremor (another side effect of psych meds, just like the cognitive limitations) it’s slow and laborious to type out words with one finger. My thumbs are especially affected by the tremor, so the fast typing with two thumbs my friend Cami does, Googling with ease, is something I watch with awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment