Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Only a Matter of Time

Two years ago

May 9th David’s white blood cell count was 53.54 (very high), two days later it was down to 29.68, and by May 14, WBC was 6.92. Certainly the hydroxyurea was responsible for some of the drop, but we hoped the experimental drugs, MEK 162 and BYL 719, were contributing as well.

But, even if the drugs were keeping the white counts down, it was only a matter of time before nothing will work. On May 13th, to prepare myself, I walked around the block to the Douglass Funeral Home. I needed to know what a funeral would cost. A few days later, I went to DeVitos in Arlington. We’ve attended several viewings there over the years. They were a little cheaper (I’m always cost-comparing), but more importantly, I just felt an emotional connection.

Mothers’ Day 2017

Mothers’ Day was always problematic for my mom. I never discussed it with her, but I inherited an ambivalence towards it. At Compassionate Friends, Elizabeth mentioned that it can be a hard holiday. That hadn't occurred to me, at least not recently. I tried not to panic myself into a hard time.

Sunday evening we attended the Joseph Smith the Prophet oratorio by Rob Gardner. Our Cambridge Stake production had a 40 piece orchestra, with about 80 teenagers and adults in the chorus. The talent and testimony were energizing.

Next day we drove to New Jersey and then the Bronx, where I'm typing this now, well after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment