Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The Dollhouse

Two years ago





Exactly two years ago, March 7, 2015, Cami and her kids came over for a photo shoot. For Christmas, back in the 60s, when my younger sister was about six, my dad built a blue and yellow wooden dollhouse for Creative Playthings dolls and furniture. (I just Googled them. They are described as "mid-century" toys. Sigh!)

      After a generation of sitting in my parents' attic, Cami's kids unpacked the toys and played with them by the fire.
The 10-month-old was too young for the photo shoot, so David gave his best avuncular effort to charm her. Sadly, she was not to be consoled, but did consent, later, to sit in the dollhouse.


Beginning of March, 2017

We had a delightful day yesterday, being tour guides for some friends we hadn't seen for 40 years. James was my bishop when I first joined the LDS church in New Jersey, back in 1977. The weather was fine, if a bit chilly; we walked to the Lexington Green and told them the familiar story of the Battle of Lexington. (We live 1/3 of a mile from the Green.) We saw the diorama of the battle at the Visitors Center and our friends bought some souvenirs. Then we drove to Lincoln, stopping at Paul Revere’s Capture Site. (He never made it to Concord to spread the alarm. Samuel Prescott, who had been out after midnight courting his sweetie, escaped the Redcoats and rode to Concord. Paul Revere was released, horseless, and walked back to Lexington Green.) In Concord we dined at The Colonial Inn, then visited the Old North Bridge and Author's Ridge in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, final resting place of Thoreaus, Emersons, Hawthornes, and Alcotts.

I had a cold, but the tour guiding kept my spirits up. When our friends left, however, I was exhausted and took a late afternoon nap. I slept till 7:30, too late to go to the monthly Compassionate Friends meeting. I have appreciated having a place to talk about David and share our loss with other parents. There’s always next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment