Sunday, October 4, 2015

A Disclaimer and a Birthday



            I want to be clear: I do not for a moment think that my experience as a mother losing her 27-year-old son to leukemia is the worst thing that can happen. It’s hard, it’s painful, it’s sad, but there is tremendous suffering in this fallen world of ours. I write my experience, not out of self-pity, I hope, but in the spirit of sharing among friends.

            Today, October 4, 2015, is David’s birthday. I didn’t remember that when I woke up this morning; as soon as I did I had a good cry.

            Since it’s the first Sunday in October, it’s General Conference in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints . October 4, 1992 was also a Sunday: David’s fifth birthday. I made a layer cake with Halloween orange frosting and black icing spider webs. Between sessions of General Conference we ate a picnic on the front lawn of the Weston meetinghouse and tried to light the candles; it’s tricky to keep tiny birthday candles lit outdoors.

            This past week we spent five days at the Peabody Institute in Baltimore, a music school like Julliard, Curtis, and Berklee. We heard lectures on the Jewish migration of the 1890s and its impact on Tin Pan Alley, the American entertainment industry, and on jazz. We attended concerts, had private student recitals, and visited the Jewish Museum of Maryland and the Walter’s Art Gallery. After David’s death, I had scoured the Road Scholar catalog for a needed change of pace and place for us.

            We returned home Friday night; Saturday evening I shopped at Market Basket. I hadn’t realized what a relief it was to be away from familiar surroundings. There I was in the dairy aisle, shopping for just two and nearly in tears. Driving home down North Adams St, I was painfully aware that David wasn’t waiting at home, hadn’t been waiting at home for 52 days.

            Tonight as I put the washed dishes in the drainer I sprayed the kitchen counter with a bleach solution, just for old times’ sake. It’s still novel to wash the dishes and not soak them in bleach for ten minutes.

1 comment: