Monday, September 28, 2015

Birthday Alarm



            A hobby I’ve developed in the past few years is sending eCards to family and friends. A week before any birthday I get a reminder email. Yesterday an email dropped into my inbox: “David’s birthday is soon! It’s not too late to send him a greeting card.”

            But of course it is. On Sunday, October 4th, David would have been 28 years old. When I was 28 we had three kids and an exciting move to New England. We bought our first house, met new life-long friends, and discovered Lake Winnipesaukee and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. We were alive and full of life. And we had so much to look forward to: thirty years and counting.

            David’s last chapter in mortality is finished, without a happy ending. I believe he’ll live again, but in the meantime there is much of life he’ll miss.

1 comment: