Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Tribute to George G. Hazen

      




           George G. Hazen died on Thursday, 4 December 2014, in Perth Amboy, NJ. He was 91 years old.

            My dad grew up on a wheat farm near Highwood, Montana. He graduated from Fort Benton High School, did his undergraduate studies at Montana State in Bozeman, and in 1950 received a PhD in Chemistry at the University of Michigan. As a chemistry teaching assistant, he met an undergraduate from Nebraska City, Ruth Evelyn Farrell. In 1948, he married Ruth and over the next ten years they had six children. Mom died on 26 August 2013. They had just celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary.
            Dad was a U.S. Navy World War II veteran. He worked as a research chemist for Merck & Co. in Danville, PA and Rahway, NJ for 40 years, before retiring in 1991.

            As my brother, Steve, wrote:
He chose Merck because he wanted to help heal those who are sick.   Among the proudest accomplishments in his professional life was his work to create an affordable manufacturing process for the drug cortisone – a drug that was considered a miracle drug when it was first discovered and is still widely used today.  The first batches of cortisone cost $8,500 for a gram of drug – prohibitively expensive for medical practice in the late 1940s.  The Merck team reduced the price per gram to $30 by 1951 and continued to refine the manufacturing process.  In 1957, he was sent to the Philippines, Australia and Holland to set up processing operations for cortisone in those countries.

International travel is a legacy and a passion that his children and grandchildren continue to enjoy.


            My dad shared many things with me, his deep faith, his love of learning, scuba diving and fine dining, to name a few. I am so grateful that some of us were able to travel to Fort Benton, Montana, for a Hazen-Holmes reunion in July. We drove to the old ranch house, which never had running water, now abandoned and surrounded by wheat fields, and enjoyed the Montanan Big Sky, with the Highwood Mountains in the distance.

            Even in his ninety-second year, Dad kept active: attending daily Mass and swimming at the Perth Amboy YMCA, and in the evening walking down a block to The Barge for a beer and the local gossip.

            I miss you, Dad. Say hi to Mom for me.

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to an amazing man. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. What wonderful memories; I too am so glad he had such rich retirement years, and that recent memories are wrapped in that Big Montana Sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Man, I will forever member the times we spent together. So sorry to hear this news. My time with him was short but he showed me a side of life that I never had experienced before I met him. He brought to my life a freedom from fears and showed me how to have faith and trust. For me he will never be forgotten and I am grateful for the time we had together. God bless you uncle George and Thank you for all the wonderful memory's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so touching. He sounds amazing; not surprising given what I know of his posterity. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On behalf of myself and the Raritan Bay Area YMCA, We are at a loss of words. Your father was an amazing man who enjoyed his daily lap swim and cup of coffee at the Y. I looked forward to our chats in the morning. He will be truly missed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad we got to meet him this summer at the Hess/Holmes family reunion. We are sad to hear of his passing. Our prayers go out for you. This is a womderful rememberance of his life.

    ReplyDelete