Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Drinking from a firehose

 I just got back from a religion class at our chapel. (Adult religion classes offered during the week are called “Institute.”)

It was inspirational and reminded me of my one experience with BYU Education Week back in 1993. Brigham Young University opens its campus each year for a week between spring and summer semester. BYU professors and others offer free classes and lectures on a huge variety of subjects. I saw Stephen Covey give a lecture on Joseph Smith, using the same paradigm as he uses in 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I attended a college-level art history class. (I’ve often regretted not taking one as an undergrad.) I literally ran from one venue to the next, 'drinking from a fire hose,’ to borrow the metaphor a speaker in the opening meeting in the Marriott Center used. And today I had another sip.

Shauna Seamons is generously sharing her wealth of knowledge and deep understanding of the restored gospel. The topic for this semester is “Temple Text in the Scriptures.” I’ve always been fascinated by the idea that our temple experience can be enriched by a deeper understanding of temple references in the scriptures. (For me as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, these are the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price.)

Shauna has been a religion teacher for over twenty years and I was blown away both by the content of her lesson and her teaching style. I decided at the last minute to bring a new notebook. (With my hand tremor my handwriting is sometimes illegible, especially in public.) I’m so glad I did. My left hand behaved itself admirably and now I have notes to refer to as I study this week.

I love taking classes and expanding my horizons. Thank you, Shauna! And thank you to all the women who came out on a winter Tuesday morning to share in the class and contribute to my day.


1 comment:

  1. It too was enriched by the beautiful spirit in our class as we discussed the work of God and the mission of His Son Jesus Christ to help us return to Him. I am grateful the scriptures contain their words and help us understand the covenants and ordinances of the gospel.

    ReplyDelete