Thursday, June 9, 2022

Chemist or Fool

 A few months ago, I did a very foolish thing. I spied little chunky white grains on the kitchen counter. My mouth watered, and to satisfy the sudden sweets craving, I licked my finger, touched a few grains and put them on my tongue. I immediately spit out the dishwasher detergent. But it had looked so inviting! I gained new understanding of poisoning among roving toddlers.


My mom broke her hip in 1984. (I realize with a shock that at 61, she was younger than I am now) I went to New Jersey with little R’el and one-year-old Peter to help her.

One evening I walked into Mom’s kitchen and found Peter under the sink, a plastic container of dishwasher detergent open beside him.

We called poison control and were told not to induce vomiting. Dishwasher detergent is very caustic and further tissue damage could be caused by vomiting it back up.


I was touched when 24 hours later I received a callback, checking on Peter. He was fine, no worse for the experience. As a young mother, I appreciated the thoughtfulness and care.


1 comment: