Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Piercing the windowpanes

 The late-winter sunshine continues to enchant me. It pierces the windowpanes and falls on the oak floorboards.


A friend of mine commented that the days will get longer in two weeks. Of course, the clock change doesn’t make the days longer, but sunset will suddenly be an hour later.


I remember how devastating daylight savings was all those years when I drove our high school students to early morning seminary class. Through January and February the sunrise gradually came earlier and earlier. Then, with an abrupt brutality, the clocks were set forward and our risings were plunged into darkness again. Then, as the equinox passed and Helios moved towards the summer solstice, the sun would rise over Route 2 again.


With the pandemic, I spend more time in my house, but I’m more in tune with the sun and seasons than ever. Last year I was out and about, rushing to appointments and in perpetual danger of being late. This year I watch the sun rise out my window and feel its energy at midday.


No comments:

Post a Comment