Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Ring in the new

I often grumble about New Year’s Eve and pretend to hate the Roman holiday. I try to be asleep before midnight: I actually accomplished that this year: Jim and his mom had to crack open the non-alcoholic sparkling Rosé without me.

But really, I fall for it every year: hook, line, and sinker. Like a lawn covered in a pristine blanket of new snow, the fresh calendar inspires thoughts of and hopes for new beginnings.

Fun trivia fact: Great Britain and its American colonies started their new year on March 25 until 1752. I like that: new beginnings should start in the spring, when the days grow from the spring equinox to summer solstice and spring planting has started (south of New England, at least).

On December 1st, I hired a Nerd Fitness coach and rang in the new year with exercise, nutrition, and lifestyle goals. I even wrote a (bad) haiku:


Awareness increased

Incremental is the key

Open to the world

 

I've written about Nerd Fitness before:

Phyz Ed

Self-help Junkie

Nerd Fitness


My Nerd Fitness ‘Big Why’ (written in May 2020)

I am engaging in Nerd Fitness Academy because I want to have a healthier body with the strength and energy to enjoy life. I want to continue to garden, keep house, enjoy my grandchildren, walk long distances, and serve other people.

I want to be a seventy-year-old woman who seems to be fifty-five. Yes, fifty-five will be my new normal.


I’m not sure this is attainable, but I’m going to give it my best shot.


Welcome, 2021.

 

1 comment:

  1. I love all of this, including the haiku! Happy New Year 😊

    ReplyDelete