Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Nerd Fitness

Last week, I woke up at 6:49 a.m. and realized that I had time to do my Nerd Fitness workout before Khare’s daily meditation circle. I didn’t feel well-rested, but I did it.

My  workout has changed character recently. I’ve begun to focus on challenging myself. My friend, Kimberly, told me that it’s the last rep, the one I can barely do, that is strengthening the muscle. Instead of marking time, doing the prescribed reps unthinkingly, my mind is actively engaged, tuned into my muscles and joints for every rep.

I imagine I’m one of the older members of Nerd Fitness. Steve Kamb targets young ‘nerds’. I’m not a nerd in that sense. But I did have a body that was under-worked and atrophying.When I started Nerd Fitness Academy last August, they sent a series of twelve weekly emails with systematic challenges. I ignored many of them. But last week I decided to ‘respawn’ (I had to look that up. Nerd is set up like a massive video game.) and receive the emails again, which will take 3 months to get through. The workouts are just one aspect of change, along with healthy eating and a positive mindset. I had stopped consistently logging my food and my scale confirms that I need that discipline. I’m taking the Nerd challenge to log my food every day for a week. It's surprisingly difficult to sustain the effort. I'm 'walking to Mordor' as well: walking at least five minutes a day for a month. Gotta go!

2 comments:

  1. It will take you a while to get to Mordor walking five minutes a day. Did you mean miles? If you did mean minutes, I heard about an event you may be interested in:
    https://www.theonion.com/paula-deen-sponsors-05k-walk-for-diabetes-research-1819573458

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did mean minutes and your article is hilarious. I figure, I'll get there faster with 5 minutes a day than with zero. "The great thing in this world is not so much where you stand, as in what direction you are moving." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Junior.

    ReplyDelete