Wednesday, April 29, 2020

A Diagon Alley, of sorts

I just spent 198 minutes (I’m tracking my time, have been for 4 years) ‘moving’ my desk.

It started with a Zoom problem. I’ve been spending a lot of time on Zoom: two weeks ago I realized I’d been on five Zoom calls that day. The last, a 2-hour DBSA-Boston support group for people with manic depression (bipolar), was too much. Thankfully, I wasn’t facilitating, so I gave my apologies and signed off for the night.

I usually join the Zoom meeting in my office, which is in the southwest corner of the second floor of our Queen Anne house. My desk had been sensibly placed facing the southern window, looking out towards a huge maple tree. To my right was the western window, looking out beyond the driveway to our ‘soccer field,’ the back part of the yard where we play soccer, frisbee, croquet, and badminton.

The problem is that the morning light from the southern window washes out my face during my weekday meditation session. The afternoon light from the western window does the same to the side of my face. I love the view of the outside, so I didn’t want to draw the blinds.

So, I moved the desk to be diagonally between the two windows. Yup, it took over three hours. The actual desk moving didn’t take that long. Moving all the stuff surrounding the desk, and ‘rewiring’ the phone, internet router, lamps, computer power supply, etc. did. And the sweeping and dusting and mopping that I can’t help but do when a heavy piece of furniture is dislodged after years of dust settling.

After I finished, and logged my time, I felt elated. (But not TOO elated. That’s a calculus I constantly have to make: am I feeling good (like a neuro-typical woman) or TOO good (like a woman in hypomania)).

And then the questions began: Did I spend too much time doing an optional activity? Will I finish the job and organize all the displaced stuff (which is currently on top of the regular clutter that has been accumulating on the guest bed in my office)? Will I follow FlyLady’s counsel and attack the clutter in 15-minute segments or will I try to clean it up all at once? Will I crash and burn then?

Those questions can wait till tomorrow. For today, I feel light and airy. I love the new view: I can see out both window better than before, with the laptop screen now covering the bare wall in front of me. I can look straight up and see David’s portrait. Maybe I’ll add a few more pictures, now that I’m facing that corner.

Jim once advised a business client to paint his office. The man was stressed with running a start-up company and stuck. By painting his office he could choose to do something within his control. He was being master of his fate.

That’s exactly how I feel.

2 comments: