Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Committed?

I was shopping for airline tickets last month; Jim and I are planning a Western jaunt to visit children and relatives in Utah and California around Thanksgiving, so I was looking into travel options.

Friends of ours have TSA PreCheck. For $85, TSA offers 5 years of streamlined airport security lines, leaving shoes and jackets on, and laptops and toiletries tucked into carry-ons. No more worries that I’ll forget my laptop or toiletries on the belt. No more awkwardly putting my shoes back on and hobbling to a bench to tie them.

So, I started the TSA online application. After asking whether you are a US citizen or otherwise documented, it offers this advice:

"If you answer 'Yes' to question 2, 3, 4 or 6 you may want to reconsider applying…Application enrollment fees are not refunded once submitted."

No, problem. I have no criminal record. But question 6 stopped me in my tracks:

“Have you ever been found by a court or other lawful authority as lacking mental capacity or involuntarily committed to a mental institution?”

In 1995 I had a psychotically manic episode. After several hours in an emergency department, Jim signed a paper committing me to a locked psychiatric unit. A powerful anti-psychotic drug wrenched me back into reality: I was truly and quite literally temporarily insane. This was a shattering and life-altering experience. Because of it, I diligently take my psych meds and regularly see my psych nurse practitioner and therapist.

I’m confident that I’m an extremely low risk to the flying public. I love my country; I have no desire to harm other people.

After reading the TSA question, I did some web research. I only found one source addressing Question 6: Katie Rose Guest Pryal . (She also posted here.) Katie Rose applied for the TSA PreCheck and was stopped in her tracks by question 6 as well. But, although she has depression, she has never been involuntarily committed. I appreciate her essay, but I was disappointed not to find more discussion on the web.

According to oyster.com:

"Almost anyone can qualify: It’s not just for diplomats and dignitaries. The only requirements are being a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. Disqualifications may include customs violations, having been convicted of a crime, or being under investigation for a crime (and they will check!)."

This breezy and cheery website doesn’t mention Question 6. I feel angry and helpless.

Post-script

At supper this evening, Jim suggested we apply for the TSA PreCheck. I told him I was blogging about it tonight and we discussed the situation. He came to the conclusion that Katie Rose had:

"(I)n the end, the difference between involuntary commitment and voluntary commitment, so much of the time, is simply having someone tell you these words: “Just go voluntarily because otherwise you will have this on your record.”"

          Too bad we weren't given that advice in 1995.

          Although he didn’t voice an opinion in either direction, our conversation started me wondering: was I being defeatist? Was it worth $85 for a shot at getting the clearance? But, if I were rejected, would that permanently mark me as an undesirable? I might stand a chance in a face-to-face interview, especially if I dress well and have Jim with me. But the online application is the first hurdle and it's a close-ended questionnaire, with no essay options.

I did some more web browsing. This "complete guide" states:

"The US government says it will reject anyone who has been convicted of a crime, has violated customs or immigration regulations, or is under investigation by law enforcement. You will also be rejected if you provide false information on your application, so spend some time getting that right. Of course, customs and border control agents also have discretion to reject anyone they declare isn’t a “low risk.”"

So, dear readers, what do you think? Should I apply for the PreCheck?

6 comments:

  1. Yes! I judge that it is low risk that you will be rejected. From personal experience, I can tell you that the $85/5 years is well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary. Hope this finds you well. We met briefly at a service for David. I was then girlfriend, but now wife, of Warren Thompson (one of David's Army friends). I am surprising Warren with a trip to Boston for a Patriots game the weekend after Thanksgiving. Seems like you might be out of town, but if you happen to be home, we have something for you and your family that we have been meaning to mail for some time. If you are home, we would love to drop by while we are there, but if you are away, we can definitely mail it. Please feel free to reach out to me at kendyreed@gmail.com if you get this message.

    PS - Re: Precheck. I agree with your friend Maggie's comment above. That said, if you do any International Travel, Global Entry may be the way to go. It's about $100 and is good for 5 years as well and let's you speed through customs quicker on your way back into the US. Sometimes, in the hidden perks of certain credit cards, you'll find they will reimburse for the cost of Global Entry. Through this process, you get a 'Trusted Traveler' number and that works for Precheck as well.

    -Kendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same situation (involuntary short-term commitment). I was approved for TSA pre-check, Global Entry, and a Concealed Pistol License less than 4 years later. I really don't think it shows up on a background check unless you're committed through an actual trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got approved!

      Did you check "yes" or "no" when you answered question 6?

      Delete
  4. Did you go through with it? Did you apply?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to know if you applied, if you were approved, and how you answered Q6

    Update pretty please!!

    ReplyDelete