Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Step Three

Two Years Ago

        On July 2nd, 2015, I read step 3 in the LDS version of the 12 steps:

“Decide to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God the Eternal Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ.”

Then I wrote in my journal:

I need to stop being “consumed with feelings of fear, discouragement, and despair.” It's going to be hard.


July 4th, 2017

Jim and I took a whirlwind trip, starting with a church youth conference in Palmyra, NY (site of the founding of the LDS church) on Thursday, a six-hour drive to NYC Friday afternoon, the Mormon Arts Center Festival at Riverside Church Friday evening and Saturday, a delightful supper at Kitchenette Uptown with our NYC kids and grandkids, and ending with the 4-hour drive home Saturday night.

I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and am thoroughly enjoying being home.

Last night, July 3rd, our evening walk turned into watching the excellent and entertaining town fireworks (always scheduled early so as not to conflict with the big Boston Pops concert and fireworks on the 4th). Afterwards we took the long way home to avoid the throngs on the sidewalks of Worthen Road.

July 2nd, I went with Jim to church at the Kendall Square stake center. While he attended the Spanish-speaking congregation, I went to the English-speaking Cambridge 2nd ward, since I only understand about 5% (generous estimate) of Spanish-language meetings. It was Fast and Testimony Meeting, when anyone in the congregation can stand at the pulpit and speak briefly. I spoke of manic depression and David’s illness and death. Afterwards, a young man approached me to say that he remembered David. He and another young man were in the University Ward with David, back in 2010. It was heart-warming to hear their memories of David. Most of their cohort have finished their schooling and moved away years ago. Even in our home ward, there are few left who ever knew David before he was a leukemia patient.

As I considered this, I emailed Peter’s wife, Xiomara, asking when she met David. She sent a sweet email, listing the many times she had been with David over the years. The first time was about eight or nine years ago, at R'els Brooklyn apartment. David had returned from his mission and he and Jim and I had driven down for a visit. Xiomara happened to visit R'el that same day.

        She has a very good memory; I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment