Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Music and Tears

Two years ago

I attended our Arlington Ward Spring Sing, an annual tradition when the ward choir, small groups, and soloists come together and present an evening of light, entertaining music. Nearly every year since we moved into the ward in 1992 I’ve sung in the choir, but when David got sick I took a leave-of-absence. In March of 2015 I was in Bethesda full-time. When I got back home, I cried every time I tried to sing a  hymn, so I didn't rejoin choir.

At the Spring Sing, in 2015, I made the mistake of sitting in the front row of the chapel. I quietly wept through the entire program. Afterwards, I apologized to my friend and fellow alto, Kimberly. She said she just wished she could do something for me to ease the pain.

June 2017

I came back to the choir last fall. I’ve had a few tearful moments, when a lyric or a harmony would tug at my heart, but mostly I’ve just been normal. Two weeks ago, I agreed to be the chorister at Sacrament Meeting, standing in front of the congregation, directing the hymns. One or two catches of the throat, but mostly relaxed and confident, glad to share my talents again.

No comments:

Post a Comment