Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Transformative Music

Two years ago

On October 23, 2014, David starts a ‘phase one clinical trial’ of cabozantinib. He takes a pill each morning and we go to MGH twice a week for bloodwork. For the first two weeks, David is allowed to take hydroxyurea, a standard workhorse of a drug (first synthesized in 1869). It doesn’t act on the bone marrow, where the leukemic cells are produced; it just keeps the white blood cell count low.
We drove to New York a few weeks ago, visiting Peter, Xiomara, and little one-year-old Andrew, R’el, and my dad. R’els Oratorio Society of New York performed Haydn’s The Creation. His depiction of the creation of light radiates splendor.

From my blog:

David was happy and talkative. Saturday morning, he carried Andrew from the apartment to the car a few blocks away. Sunday, he walked to church (8 blocks) and back (E. 95th St. to E. 87th St.). He just sounded like the old David, sparring with Peter, saying interesting, intelligent things. I savor it.


First week of November 2016

Sunday morning, November 6, radically changes Jim’s and my life. Jim is called to be a counselor in the Cambridge MA Stake. The Cambridge Stake consists of thirteen congregations. We don’t know all that his new role will entail, but it will include counseling with individual stake members and leaders as well as administrative duties. We do know it will be a spiritual stretch for us, and a great blessing in our lives.

Last night, Jim, four of our friends, and I shared an evening with 2600 others at a concert by the Boston Philharmonic Youth Orchestra at Boston Symphony Hall. According to Wikipedia, Symphony Hall is one of the top three concert halls in the world. The shoebox design creates an unparalleled acoustical experience.

The young players, all under 22 years old, play with fire, intense energy, and passion. Benjamin Zander is a force of nature; he inspires his musicians to musical heights I’ve never heard before. (Watch his 21-minute-long TED talk, "The Transformative Power of Classical Music".

The crowning jewel of the concert is the Sibelius Violin Concerto, played by Mo Yang, a young Korean violinist. For nearly 40 minutes, his every move holds us captive.

I love listening to classical music recordings, but I’m not sure I can ever listen to this concerto on a recording again. I don’t want the whole body experience of last night to be overlaid with anything else.

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful that, because of you and Jim, I heard and felt and saw that concert. I don't think before that night I had ever mentioned that I feel and see music more than hear it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete