Thursday, April 30, 2015

WBC Count: 50.79

            I hadn’t mentioned the phase one clinical trial David was scheduled to start today; I didn’t want to get anyone’s hopes up, including mine. That’s right, scheduled: it’s not going to happen today. We spent all day at Cox 120 yesterday, investigating the pain in David’s arm. Besides the ultrasound, which revealed multiple blood clots, they drew blood (usually only done Monday and Thursday), which showed the WBC count had risen, from 24.42 on Monday to 50.79 on Wednesday. Yup, doubling in 2 days. The protocol of the new study requires 48 hours off of hydroxyurea before the initial blood draw. Dr. Fathi felt would be dangerous yesterday, given David’s history of quickly multiplying white blood cells when he’s off hydroxyurea.


            So, we get the day off tomorrow, but need to go, outpatient, to Lunder 10 Saturday morning for more blood work (since Cox 120 isn’t open on the weekend). David may need transfusions, which he’s been getting quite often lately. They will also decide whether his WBC count is low enough to stop the hydroxyurea for 48 hours. He can take hydroxyurea while in the study: that was not true for the last clinical trial.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ms. Johnston,

    My name is Natalie and I was David's classmate while he was at Haverford. I tried writing to you yesterday but I wasn't sure if my comment went through.

    Please tell your son I said hello and that he is in my thoughts. I'm hoping for all the best.

    Warm regards,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete