Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Marilyn Foley Jodoin

Last night Marilyn Foley Jodoin died. I was privileged to be her friend for nearly thirty years.

 

Before the local church boundaries changed a dozen years ago, Marilyn and I were in the Arlington Ward together. A few years before my mighty cross-country trip, I was the president of the children’s organization (Primary) and she was my counselor. She was always high energy and enthusiastic. She loved the children.

 

For a summertime activity, Marilyn organized a water fun afternoon for our Primary. A contractor-friend of hers lent us two (40-50 feet, maybe?) pieces of clear plastic sheeting to erect a giant slip-and-slide outside of the chapel. We laid them on a long, grassy hill and installed garden hoses at the top. Then we all lined up and slid down, over and over again. The day was warm and sunny. Of all the kids there, Marilyn enjoyed it most. She had a blast.

 

Marilyn had many hard things in her life, but she chose the joy.

 

How can I express my sorrow to her husband and her children and her grandchildren? Her daughter’s posts have been loved and commented on by hundreds. As many have said, Christmas just won’t be the same without Marilyn’s low husky voice singing, "Mary Did You Know?" while strumming her guitar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment